The cachapa is one of the star dishes of the food of Venezuela and Colombia. It consists of a corn cake texture rustic is prepared with tender corn and a few ingredients. It is believed that it originated in the central zone of Venezuela, and was first brewed by the indigenous people. This corn cake is known as a cachapa de budare. The budare is a circular griddle of clay or cast iron on which it carries out the cooking of the cachapas. Once cooked, served hot, accompanied by ingredients such as cheese, butter or margarine, the ham…
In The Naked Kitchen, we have developed a version of this cachapa venezolana with ingredients accessible to everyone, because, although we would have liked to get tender corn to
to be faithful to the original recipe, we have not found, in these dates, in Spain, so we used corn cooked canned, obtaining a cachapa with an extraordinary flavor and a wonderful texture.
In our cookbook you can find recipes of cakes that are cooked in the pan, as is the case of our delicious crepes homemade or waffles with cream or cream of milk.
Ingredients for Cachapa venezolana. Easy recipe for 2 people
- Egg – 1 unit
- Wheat flour – 20 grams (2 tablespoons)
- Sugar – 15 grams (1 tablespoon)
- Flour pre-cooked corn – 30 grams (3 tablespoons)
- Butter – 15 grams (1 tablespoon)
- Salt – 5 grams (1 small scoop)
- Yeast – 1 teaspoon
- Corn cooked in tin – 450 grams
- Milk – 150 grams
- Cheese, sliced – to taste
- Butter – for greasing the pan
How to make the recipe Cachapa venezolana. Easy recipe
- First, drain the corn canning. We must withdraw all the water we can so that the dough does not we are left with an excess of liquid.
- Once drained, put the corn in a medium bowl. Add to the bowl the rest of ingredients in the recipe.
- With the help of an electric mixer, blend all the ingredients until you get a paste texture, rustic, still appreciate a few pieces of corn.
- When we have the dough ready, cover the bowl with plastic wrap and putting it in the fridge where it is allowed to stand for 1 hour.
- Past the resting time, remove the bowl from the fridge. We heat a pan whose base we will have greased lightly with a little butter.
- When the frying pan has caught heat, distribute a good amount of mass in the center of the pan. To do this, we can help of a ladle to serve soup. We extend a little the dough until you have a cake about a centimeter thick.
- Cook a few minutes on both sides over medium heat. We turn when browned on the bottom and above this a certain consistency.
- We repeat the process with the remaining dough, greasing a little pan between cachapa and cachapa if necessary.
- Nothing more to remove from the pan, we spread our cakes with a little butter or margarine, the stuff of sliced cheese (or other ingredients) and serve hot.
Notes and Tips
If you have problems to weigh some ingredients, and you will feel more comfortable using as a measure the cups and tablespoons, I invite you to read our article on how to carry out the conversion of weights and measures.
If you can use mix to make cachapas, in place of the pre-cooked maize flour do, the result will be even better. You can also use mix to make arepas.
It is important to make a few cakes not very large, because due to the tender that are to break when you try to turn them around.