In countries such as Scotland and England this dundee cake cake of nuts and dried fruit is very much tied to the feast of Christmas. It is a sponge cake dense and very juicy, a homemade dessert recipes that we recommend that you leave it to stand for several days after baking, so that their flavor, aroma and preservation to be enhanced. It is a sweet ideal to accompany a tea or coffee.
In The Naked Kitchen, we have developed a version rich in dried apricots and raisins which, previously, have been soaked in whiskey for 12 hours. In addition, among the ingredients, to highlight the use of orange zest and lemon, obtaining a final product very aromatic, whose flavor, without a doubt, will captivate you.
Among our recipes, you can find other biscuits, such as our delicious cake of yogurt, or our cross-eyed landlord of a lifetime!
Ingredients for sponge dundee cake recipe for 4 people
- Wheat flour – 225 grams
- Milk – 40 grams
- Sugar – 150 grams
- Whiskey – 4 tablespoons
- Baking powder – 1 teaspoon
- Eggs – 3 units
- Candied fruit – 50 grams
- Butter – 135 grams
- Raisins – 150 grams
- Dried apricots – 150 grams
- Lemon zest – 1 unit
- Zest of orange – 1 unit
- Almond – 40 grams
How to make the dundee cake recipe
- In the first place, put in a bowl the dried apricots and raisins. Grate the skin of the orange and the lemon and toss in the bowl. Pour the whiskey into the bowl and mix well so that the fruit permeate.
- Then, cover the bowl with plastic wrap and leave to macerate the fruit until the following day. The next day, put in a bowl the butter and the sugar. Mix with a whisk until you obtain a paste creamy.
- We take the eggs one at a time. Add an egg, and mix with the poles to join the mix, when you’re done, add the following. We repeat the same process with the 3 eggs.
- In another bowl, mix the flour with the yeast. With the help of a strainer, tamizamos both ingredients over the bowl where we have the eggs and the remaining ingredients. Add the flour slowly while continuing mixing to incorporate.
- Once incorporated all the flour, pour in the bowl the milk and mix to integrate. Preheat the oven to 175 degrees C. Cut into small pieces the candied fruit.
- Add to the bowl with the candied fruit and the contents of the bowl where we put to soak the dried fruit. Mix so that ingredients newly added to be distributed evenly.
- Grease a baking sheet with a little butter and sprinkle with a thin layer of flour. Pour in the mold the mass.
- We introduce the pan in the oven and bake at 175 ° C, for 60 minutes or until the dough is cooked. To know if the dough is ready, press a toothpick in it. If getting it are seen the remains of dough, the cake is ready.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool within the mold.
Tips for the dundee cake
There are people who claim that this cake improves with the passage of days. If you want to check it out, and if we have enough will power to wait so, we can wrap our cake in a clean cloth and keep it for 1 or 2 days, in a sealed container.