The arroz a banda) is a dish originating from the coast, which over the years has seen extended his fame to many other regions, such as Murcia, Valencia or Barcelona. It is a development that usually take fish with little molla (morraja) to make a potent broth that is used as a backdrop. It is usual to take advantage of the broth to cook two dishes; on the one hand prepares a rice separate from the fish (a band), and another day is usually to prepare a stew with the shredded fish that has been used to prepare the bottom, potatoes and aioli, this dish is known in some regions as “cauldron”. Recipes with rice to have a big presence in our cookbook, where, among others, you can find dishes as delicious as our rice with clams. If you want to see many other preparations I recommend that you visit our section of Rice and Vegetables.
The recipe that we show you below is simple and very economical. If you want to get a great result we would recommend that you will prepare yourselves at home for the broth or fish fumet that will serve as the base for this rice to band. Although today you can buy fish stock is ready to use, nothing like the taste and aroma of a broth made in house.
The aioli is a sauce that can not miss in this kind of dishes, if you want to learn to prepare not to lose detail of the step-by-step of our recipe for roasted potatoes with aioli.
Do you want to know how to make a rich rice band? Let’s go with the recipe!
Ingredients For 3-4 people
- Rice – 200 grams
- Tomato – 2 units
- Onion – 1 unit
- Gambón – 220 grams
- Sepia – 270 grams
- Olive oil – 3 tablespoons
- Saffron – 0.1 gram
- Sweet paprika – 1 teaspoon
- Fish broth – 900 ml
- Salt – to taste
Steps of the Rice Band
- First, peel the onion and chop finely.
- We removed the legs to the cuttlefish, cut his body in wide strips, and these, in turn, in medium pieces.
- Heat a little olive oil in a frying pan. Put it on the shrimp and season them lightly. Cook for a minute on each side and remove.
- Then, toss the cuttlefish, season them lightly, and cook for a few minutes or until lightly browned. At that time, remove them from the pan and reserve.
- Next, put in the pan the onion and a little salt and oil. Cook, over medium heat, to go softening.
- Meanwhile, cut the tomatoes in half and grate.
- Pour the fish broth in a saucepan and bring to the heat.
- When the onion is tender, add to the pan the tomato, the paprika and the saffron. Continue cooking for 10 minutes.
- Add the rice and sauté for 2 or 3 minutes.
- Pour the fish broth. Cook for an approximate time of between 15 and 20 minutes or until the rice is tender.
- Shortly before the end of cooking, incorporate the shrimp.
- Finished cooking, remove the pan from the heat and serve im median tely.
Notes and Tips
The cooking time of the rice tends to vary depending on the type used, it is usual that white rice is ready in 15 or 20 minutes. The brown rice may need a cooking time of up to 45 minutes. It is best to go proving the point of cooking of the grain to make sure that it is not passed, nor is it hard.