Rice with clams and prawns
This dish I like it very much because it reminds me of summers as a child spent in a small coastal town bathed by the waters of the warm Mar Menor. Were summers for reunions with family members who for months did not see. In those meetings I could not miss a delicious seafood paella that my mother was preparing a large quantity and variety of ingredients. Oh how I miss those paellas!
In the recipe that I propose today, we used clams and shrimp as the main ingredients, which makes this rice a dish full of flavor and with important nutritional properties. In the market you can find shrimp and clams for all the pockets, so that should not pose a problem for you to make this dish.
To enhance the flavor of this preparation we have prepared a fish stock with the heads and skins of the prawns, if you want to see how to make dont miss the video and the recipe listed on this link; fumet shrimp. This fund is really what makes this rice is so good, in fact, a good background produced on the basis of various types of seafood, or fish, it will mark the big difference between a dish and a mediocre one, and one sublime. Although use is made of first quality ingredients, if the base is not adequate, these will shine in all its splendor. Therefore, take the necessary time to prepare this fund, either only with the remains of the prawns, as we have done in this recipe, or making use of other remains of shellfish or, for example, tails and spines of fish. In our article; tips to make the stock perfect, you can find interesting recommendations that will be of great help when preparing a background for any type of dish, whether vegetables, fish, seafood or meat.
If you like rice with seafood, in our site you can find many other recipes, such as our great seafood paella on the wood fire, or our noodle dishes of seafood. Don’t lose them!
Ingredients [For 2 people]:
- Clams – 250 grams
- Shrimp – 8 units
- Rice – 200 grams
- Cloves of garlic – 3 units
- Onion – 1 unit
- Red bell pepper – 1/2 unit
- White wine – 100 ml
- Chopped parsley – 1 tablespoon
- Fumet shrimp – 400 ml
- Saffron – 0.1 gram
- Salt – to taste
- Olive oil – 3 tablespoons
Preparation of the Recipe
- At least one hour before starting with the preparation of this recipe, we put the clams to soak with plenty of water and a good pinch of salt. We will keep the clams in water for at least an hour, this will release the impurities that can accumulate in its interior.
- While the clams are clean, we continue with the rest of the recipe. Then, peel the garlic cloves and the onion and chop both ingredients finely.
- Heat a little olive oil in a frying pan. When hot, add the garlic cloves and the onion. Cook over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, cut the half red bell pepper into small pieces, and add them to the pan. Continue cooking until onion and pepper are tender.
- Then, pour in the pan with the white wine and cook for a few minutes for the alcohol to evaporate.
- Remove the clams from the bowl where we have to soak and wash. We add these to the pan and cook until they open up. If you wish, you can cover the pan to speed up the process. After a few minutes, the clams will be open.
- At this point, it is time to add the rice and stir to distribute evenly through the pan.
- Season and add the saffron.
- Pour in the pan the stock or broth of prawns. If we do not have, we can substitute it for any fish stock, although it is fair to say that the flavor and aroma of the wines that we can buy will never be comparable to a good homemade broth. Once we add, we bring it to a boil, and cook over medium heat maintaining a boil moderate.
- While the rice is cooked, remove the thicker stems of the parsley and chop the leaves finely.
- Towards the end of cooking, when the rice has absorbed a good part of the liquid, add the parsley and distribute the peeled shrimps over the surface. Continue cooking a few minutes more, until the rice is tender and the prawns cooked.
- Remove the pan from the heat and leave rice to stand, covered with a clean cloth for 10 minutes before serving.
Notes and Tips
In case you are using clams frozen, we add them directly to the pan without thawing. We omit in this case the step 1 of the recipe because the clams subjected to freezing are not alive, and it will not put them in water.
If during the process of cooking some of the clams does not open, we must discard it.
It is important to add the peeled prawns towards the end of cooking, since, if we do it too soon, they will be a little juicy.
If you wish, at the same time as the crocus, or in replacement of this, we can add a little food coloring or a pinch of turmeric, which will increase still more the color of our plate.