Rice with squid
Today we bring you the recipe to prepare a delicious rice with squid. A very simple dish, made with few ingredients, where the squid is the absolute protagonist. This preparation goes to swell the long list of recipes with rice that we put at your disposal in our comprehensive recipe book, where you can find, among many others, the recipe for traditional rice to the cuban, or the original rice the american.
To achieve a good result it is important to add a good fish broth to this stew. Although I take a bit more time, it’s worthwhile to prepare at home, since the commercial versions of the different types of wines they carry unhealthy ingredients (preservatives, flavourings, etc.), besides a considerable amount of salt. If you prepare the broth at home, we can choose what ingredients you want to use. Really it is not necessary to spend a lot of money to develop a good background. If you go to the market first thing in the morning, when there are still few people, you can entertain in talking to the fishmonger’s for that I recommend you which products to use depending of your economic possibilities and culinary needs. They, better than anyone, know the products.
If you go to the market, take advantage of also to buy the squid whole. Clean them at home does not imply a great effort, and their texture and flavor is superior to the rings of squid that already sell ready-to-use.
For the simplicity of this recipe, we are confident that you will not have problems at the time of manufacture. Even so, we have prepared a video in which we show a detailed step-by-step of the whole process. We hope that will be of great help.
Do we start? Let’s go with the recipe!
Ingredients [For 2 people]:
- Onion – 1 unit
- Tomato – 1 unit
- Red bell pepper – 1/2 unit
- Squids – 4 units
- Rice – 150 grams
- Olive oil – 3 tablespoons
- Broth fish – 500 milliliters
- Sweet paprika – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – to taste
Preparation of the Recipe
- We begin the recipe by cleaning the squids. If you do not have clear how it is done, I invite you to carry out the reading of our article: “How to clean a squid or flying fish“, in which we show a detailed step-by-step with photos. Once clean, cut into rings, approximately 1 cm in width.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and begin to cook the squid. We keep them on the fire until they take a little bit of color. At that moment, turn away from the pan and reserve. If you have used a pan of stainless steel, it is very possible that I have been remains of the squid close to the bottom. If so, do not worry, because during the cooking of vegetables is iran taking off, providing an extra flavor to the dish.
- Peel the onion and chop finely.
- Remove seeds of the red pepper and cut it into small pieces one of its halves.
- Add both ingredients to the same pan where we have made the squid. Cook, over medium heat, until tender.
- While it’s cooking, cut the tomato in half and grate it to extract its meat. Reserve.
- When the onion and pepper are tender, add the paprika, mix, and add also the grated tomato. Mix again. Cook for 5 minutes so that the tomatoes lose some of their water.
- Then, toss the rice, the squid and a pinch of salt. Stir well.
- Finally, pour the fish broth and bring to a boil. Cook, maintaining a boil moderately until the rice has absorbed almost all the broth or until tender. Depending on the type of rice that you employee it is possible that you may have to add more broth.
- When the rice is on point, turn away the pan from the heat and, after leaving the rice to temple for a few minutes, serve.
Notes and Tips
You can prepare this dish by making use of a brown rice, in that case you must take into account that this type of rice requires a cooking time longer and greater amount of broth. In our recipe “how to cook rice“, we give you valuable tips that will be of great help when cooking dishes with rice.
If you want to further enhance this dish, you can add a few prawns, a few pieces of fish, some clams, or any other ingredient that is to your liking.
You should keep in mind that the key to the powerful flavor of this rice is due to the use of the fish stock. Ideally, you will prepare yourselves at home, but if this is not possible, buy a broth of quality.