The Day of thanksgiving or Thanksguiving Day is one of the most important festivals in Canada and the united States. Has its origin in the SIXTEENTH and SEVENTEENTH centuries, when they began to make special celebrations to thank for the harvest and all good things happened throughout the year.
Although the purpose is the same, the Day of thanksgiving has certain differences depending on where it is held. Canada is the second Monday of October, while in the united States, is the fourth Thursday of November. This feast is also celebrated in other countries like Liberia, Germany, Japan, or some of the Caribbean islands.
In terms of the history of how and where did this celebration, there are different versions. Lto English tradition places the root of the Day of thanksgiving in the protestant reformation, in the reign of Henry VIII, when the puritans wanted to eliminate the traditional festivals catholic and to replace them by other that allow you to continue praising God. Another possible sources is the tradition in canadian, according to which the Day of thanksgiving would have been born when the French to New France and wanted to celebrate good harvests.
In the united States, some of the professors of the University of Florida, they put on a Spanish accent to the first thanksgiving dinner. The writers Gioia and Gannon claim that the first celebration was held by the Spanish on September 8, 1565, in what is now St. Augustine, in Florida.
- Traditions of thanksgiving Day
- Traditional dishes of thanksgiving or Thanksgiving Day
- Proposal for a menu of thanksgiving or Thanksgiving Day
- Ingredients for a Menu or Meal of the day thanksgiving or Thanksgiving Day for 8 people
- How to make the recipe of the Day thanksgiving or Thanksgiving Day: recipes, meal and menu
- Notes and Tips
Traditions of thanksgiving Day
As with all important holidays, the Day of thanksgiving or Thanksgiving Day has a number of traditions that are common in almost all countries that celebrate this holiday.
The family dinner
The Day of thanksgiving represents the perfect excuse to get together as a family. It is common that many relatives living far away gather together in a house to live this feast together. This family dinner usually lasts several hours and has several traditional dishes, like the turkey, the mashed potato or the pumpkin pie. In the united States, the proximity of Christmas, many families will take the Day of thanksgiving as the kick off to the holidayseason.
This is a tradition that is eminently american. For years, the company’s macy’s organizes a great parade through the streets of Manhattan with giant balloons and live performances of artists of international stature. This parade brings together thousands of people in the streets and millions in front of the tv each year.
The Day of thanksgiving or Thanksgiving Day acts as a sequel of the christmas season, and announces the arrival of one of the most commercial of the year, black friday. This day, which is held on the Friday after thanksgiving, all retailers have special offers, which many keep for several days. This makes the Day of thanksgiving suppose the kick off of the holiday shopping.
Traditional dishes of thanksgiving or Thanksgiving Day
The turkey is the main dish traditional for excellence on any thanksgiving dinner. The importance of this plate is such that some, of jest, they call the day thanksgiving Turkey Day (turkey Day) This turkey is often served cooked in the oven and filling, although there are some who prefer to fry it. In some cases, are looking for alternatives to turkey, like the duck.
The mashed potatoes
In the accompanying more traditional at dinner the Day of thanksgiving or Thanksguiving Day. It is ideal to do this with fresh potatoes, although there are few families that do it with the prepared that can be found in the supermarkets.Is usually accompanied of vegetables, especially green beans, and a cranberry sauce, which contrasts perfectly with the salty flavor both the potatoes as the turkey.
The pumpkin pie and other desserts
After a great dinner, those who celebrate the Day of thanksgiving tend to enjoy many desserts. The most traditional is pumpkin pie, which is also very consumed at Halloween and at Christmas. This dessert is usually made with fresh pumpkin or canned, and even, you can buy already made.
Other traditional desserts on the Day of thanksgiving or Thanksguiving Day are the cake of blackberries and the apple pie. It is very common to accompany these desserts with blueberry sauce that is used, also, to accompany the main dishes of the dinner.
A dinner for the Day of thanksgiving offers so many options as you want. This celebration will allow us to innovate in the kitchen, always starting from the traditional dishes that are typical for this family dinner.
On this occasion, we will prepare a menu very traditional Day of thanksgiving, using ingredients that are easy to find. Yes, it is good to remember that if we do not use any ingredient (because it does not find him or any allergy) we can always replace it with a similar one.
Ingredients for a Menu or Meal of the day thanksgiving or Thanksgiving Day for 8 people
For the turkey
- Turkey – 1 specimen of about 4 pounds
- Carrots – 5 units
- Onion – 3 units
- Zucchini – 3 units
- Mushrooms and mushrooms – 500 grams
- Green asparagus
- Olive oil
For the accompaniment, and dessert
- Potatoes – 2 pounds
- Butter – 120 grams
- Milk – 200 mililitos
- Green beans – 1 kilo
- Garlic – 3 cloves
- Pastry – 200 grams
- Pumpkin – 400 grams
- Evaporated milk – 400 ml
- Eggs – 2 units
- Brown sugar
- Whipped cream
- Apricot jam
- Orange juice – 1 cup
- Blueberries – 4 cups
- Orange zest
- To prepare the turkey, start preparing the filling. To do this we cover the base of a frying pan with oil and fry the carrots and onions, cut into julienne strips. After five minutes, add the zucchini, that will be cut also into strips and without skin. Add the asparagus, the mushrooms and the mushrooms. Cook for 10 minutes and reserve.
- Then we take the turkey, which should be boned, and then season inside and out. Preheat the oven to 250º. While heating the oven, stuff the turkey and sew the opening, so that it does not come off the filler. Place it in a baking tray, with three nuts of butter on top.
- When the oven is hot, put the turkey inside and lowered the temperature to 180 degrees. Bake for two hours, During baking, we will check the turkey every 20 minutes, to soak with the juices that drops.
- While baking the turkey, it’s time to go preparing the side dishes and the dessert. We started by making the blueberry sauce. To do this we placed in a pot or pan, a cup and a half of brown sugar and the cup of orange juice. Put it over medium heat and cook, stirring constantly. When it starts to boil, leave it for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Toss the blueberries, bring to a boil and cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently, until we see that the cranberries are open and the mixture thickens. We put a bit of grated orange zest, remove and refrigerate.
- The next thing to do will be the pumpkin pie. This recipe needs an oven, so it will be advisable to use a second oven (can be portable) or do it before you start with the turkey. We started by stretching the pastry and placing it in a round mold. Bake for 15 minutes at 180-200º. After you peel the pumpkin, remove the seeds and bake wrapped in foil for 10-15 minutes.
- When the squash is done, put it in a jar, with the eggs, the milk, 130 grams of brown sugar, one teaspoon of cinnamon powder and a little ginger. Blend with a blender. Pour the mixture into the pan with the pasta quebrada baked, and introduce it again in the oven at 180ºC, for 30 minutes. Desmoldamos and decorate with jam and cream.
- It is time the mashed potatoes and green beans, To mashed potatoes, boil the potatoes with skin for about 30 minutes (depends on the size of the potatoes) When they are cooked, drain them and remove the skin. Grind the potatoes and then add 120 grams of butter, salt to taste, and 200 milliliters of milk. Mix until it is homogeneous. This puree can be prepared in advance, although the ideal is to do it just before sitting down to dinner. In terms of the development of the green beans, you simply sauté with a drizzle of olive oil and a few cloves of garlic.
- While we do all the workings, we will be awaiting the turkey. Once you have passed the two hours of baking, turn off the oven and let it rest the turkey for 30 minutes. Once past this time, remove the turkey from the oven and serve.
- Another recipe of Turkey stuffed with video that you are interested in:
Notes and Tips
Accompany the turkey with the cranberry sauce to give it extra juiciness.
If you can not do the cake at the same time that the turkey, opt for doing before or just after. Bake a pie for the dinner will be that you can take it a little hot.