The roly-poly is a drawing that is not usually missing in the pastry, being usual to find it filled with pastry cream or chocolate cream. However, on the basis of the fundamentals of the versions of sweets, we can also make all kinds of savory recipes, like the one that occupies us today. In The Naked Kitchen you can find other examples of these savory pies such as our recipe roll salmon, avocado and shrimp or our roulade of spinach and cheese.
The Roly-Poly was born, towards the end of the IX century, from the hands of the boilermakers, who were, in their majority roma. These boilermakers repairing pots, pans and boilers throughout the city. The pastry chefs who offered their services began to give them the clippings of different parts that are left over at the end of the day.
The boilermakers took the leftovers rolled up in a sheet of cake. The workers of the obrador, seeing them go, they used to say; “What good will the pie-in-the Roly-Poly”. Soon the idea liked it so much that they started making this dessert specifically, keeping the name that we all know. Another hypothesis argues that this development was discovered in Egypt by a monk of the natural region of El Bierzo. The man was so amazed at the dessert that brought him to Spain, where he was baptized as “Roly-Poly”, later the word referred to the current name.
Whatever their origin, the reality is that, sweet or savoury, this is an elaboration delicious that you cannot miss. Today I propose a recipe that gives a wonderful contrast of colors, textures and flavors. Although it looks like a dish complicated, is not at all.
Ingredients 6-8 people:
For the dough:
- Wheat flour – 100 grams
- Baking powder (baking powder) – 6 grams
- Eggs – 2 units
- Piquillo peppers – 130 grams
- Salt – to taste
For the filling:
- Apple – 2 units
- Cheese slices – 6 units
- Cream cheese – 150 grams
- Sausages frankfurt – 100 grams
- Red onion – 2 units
- White onion – 2 units
- Butter – 25 grams
- Black pepper – to taste
- Olive oil – 3 tablespoons
Steps of the Roly-Poly salty
- We started by making the dough, to do this, cascamos the eggs and toss its contents into the bowl of the electric mixer. Add the piquillo peppers and the salt. Blend until that we are left with a mixture of fine texture that does not appreciate chunks of pepper.
- In a bowl we mix the flour with the baking powder.
- Then, toss in the bowl the contents of the bowl of the electric mixer. With the help of a whisk mix until the flour absorbs all the liquid.
- We put it in the oven to heat to 180 ° C.
- Pour the mixture into a baking tray lined with baking paper and extend it with a spatula until you have a rectangular shape.
- We carry the tray in the oven. Bake at 180º C for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, take a cloth and humedecemos with water, we can soak it by placing it under a faucet and then drain very well.
- Finish baking, take the pan out of the oven. Next, we turn to the mass, to do this, we extend the cloth over this and turn around being careful not to burn. We removed the paper that made base, and roll up the dough with the help of the cloth. We leave it rolled up as we continue making the filling.
- Peel the onions and cut them into julienne strips.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the onions. Cook on a gentle heat for you to go caramelizando little by little. If you want to see in detail how to carry out this process, I invite you to look into our recipe of caramelized onions.
- Once the onion has caramelized, add salt and ground pepper and cook 5 minutes more. Finally, remove from heat and reserve.
- Peel the apples, we remove the heart, and cut it in thin slices.
- Heat the butter in a frying pan and add the slices of apple. Cook, over medium heat, until tender.
- Meanwhile, cut the sausages into small pieces.
- Once you have ready all the ingredients, we set up our Roly-Poly. We begin by unrolling the dough and put it on a sheet of parchment paper. Split it above the apple. On this we put the slices of cheese. Then we extend the caramelized onions and we conclude by putting the pieces of sausage.
- Helping the sheet of tracing paper begin to roll the dough. Once we finished, we put the lock down.
- Finally, we extend to the outside of the roll, the cream cheese, to do this we help of a spatula or a knife and rounded tip.
- We put it in the fridge and let the roll sit for a couple of hours.
- Past the time of rest, we are ready to serve.
Some notes and tips:
It is very important that enrollemos the dough just out of the oven, if you let it cool down we can break the roll.
You can prepare this dish with all kinds of fillings, you can even dispense with adding the peppers to the dough and put a little bit of sugar, so that you will obtain a great base to develop sweet recipes. Vegetable recipes