Hello Chefs! Would you like to learn to cook one of the typical dishes of Holy Week? The recipe for bacalao al pil pil is the most popular, for being one of the most simple to make with this fish as the protagonist.
This week is full of culinary traditions, such as not eating meat on good Friday. Therefore, the vegetables, fish or dairy products and their derivatives, are the foods most often consumed these days. In our Recipes easter you will find many ideas to carry out. Simple dishes to elaborate, as the stew of chickpeas or the traditional desserts, including can not miss the French toast or the bagel chips.
The cod is one of the typical dishes of Holy Week because of its ease of conservation. But, in addition to its versatility, it is a white fish low in fat, which favore the digestion and protects the cardiovascular health thanks to its Omega-3 fatty acids. In addition, it is a source of vitamins such as B5, minerals and proteins that fight the stress and the migraines. To be rich in phosphorus, helps to improve the biological functions of the brain and also your bones and teeth stay strong and healthy.
So, today, we want to teach you to develop the recipe more famous: the “bacalao al pil pil. It is a traditional dish of the basque cuisine and is very easy to do, because basically it consists of salt cod, olive oil, garlic and chilli pepper.
The name of pil-pil makes a reference to the sound that is created when you move the clay pot in which it cooks the fish. The confit of cod produces that sound when it emulsifies the mixture between the delicate oil and the gelatin of the skin.
Would you like to listen to it? Follow the following steps and pay attention to the time of the confit.
Ingredients for 2 people
For the fish
- Cod fillet – 2 pcs. of 150 grams each
- Cold water
For the sauce
- Oil forget – 400 ml.
- Garlic – 2 cloves
- Chilli – | Median level | unit
How to make the recipe of Bacalao al pil pil. Traditional recipe.
- If we buy the cod salted or in brine, in first place we have to desalt the fish. For 2 loins of 150 grams each, we’ll have them in cold water for two days and we must change it 2 times a day.
- When we already have the cod desalao, we will begin to prepare the sauce. In the first place, we will heat the 400 ml. of olive oil in a casserole dish. Cut the two cloves of garlic in sheets and we’ll take it along to the | Median level | chilli.
- When the oil is mild, we will introduce the two cod loins with the skin facing down. It is very important that the oil is hardened, because in this moment is that we will begin to confit the cod and for this we are going to move the pan from one side to the other (with quick movements and short), to begin to bind the oil with the skin of cod, to obtain a gelatin. Now is when you will hear the pil-pil!
- Once linked the sauce, remove the loins from the cod to a dish, and lay on the sauce with the garlic confit and chili pepper.
Notes and Tips
The trick to getting that candy the cod and bind the sauce is in the temperature. The olive oil has to be tempered if it is heated too much it will be impossible to get the gelatin.
The traditional recipe says that the cod must be made in an earthenware pot , and move it around with your hands to bind the sauce. However, it is possible to do this in a pan of stainless steel, and to get us to quit the sauce, instead of moving it with your hands, take a strainer traditional to remove and emulsify the oil with short, quick motions.
We hope that these tricks help you to get to do a bacalao al pil pil which is so rich that you resuelte inevitable to dip the bread in the sauce! If so, leave us a comment or share with us a photo so we can see what a good cook you are.
And if another day you want to make a different dish with the same kind of fish, I recommend the cod fritters, an ancient recipe of the mediterranean cuisine, or the baked rice casserole with cod.
If you liked this recipe for Bacalao al pil pil. Traditional recipe. Recipes for easter Weekend.Recipes for Holy Week