The best way to lose weight, and help our body stay healthy is to give priority in our diet to foods with low glycemic index. In today’s article we are going to tell you what it measures this index and what foods suit us to prioritize in our food.
What is the glycemic index (GI)?
It is a numerical value that reflects the glycemic response that causes a food in our body. A high value means that the food in question causes a sudden rise of the concentration of glucose in the blood.
The bread, with a GI of 100, is used as the reference value, considering that the foods that have a value close to that of the bread have a high GI.
The absence of fiber in the food, as well as their easy digestion, give rise to a rapid increase of glucose in the blood. Also the presence of sugar, or the destruction of the fiber due to the firing, causing a rapid increase of glucose in the blood. The consumption of foods that contain fiber, have fat or proteins, or have not been cooked, causes a reduction in the IG.
Glycemic index and fat
When we consume a food with a high GI causes the release of insulin, a hormone that stimulates the synthesis of glycogen and the accumulation of fat. However, when we consume a food with low GI the glucose is released slowly, without producing spikes in blood glucose, or release sudden insulin.
When the glucose is released slowly in the body interprets that there is energy flowing at all times, without peaks, resulting in an inhibition of the desire to eat. Foods that produce insulin spikes, we sate for a very short time, so that the body quickly returns to demand food.
The reduction in the IG in the diet has been shown to be effective in the prevention of various ailments, among others; reduction of the risk of heart problems, lower rate of obesity and reducing levels of HDL or also known as bad cholesterol.
Tips to reduce the glycemic index
Here are some valuable tips that will be of great help in reducing the GI in your diet:
- Cooking of the food. It is preferable to cook them only to the extent necessary, in the case of the pasta, and rice will leave the repair. Vegetables is always preferable to leave them a bit crunchy you spend cooking.
- Fruits and vegetables with skin. We must eat the skin of fruits and vegetables since that is the place where is concentrated the fiber. The greater number of fiber, lower the glycemic index.
- Raw foods. It is advisable to consume all the products that we can without cooking, because, as we have noted, the cooking destroys much of the fiber.
- Whole-grain foods. Include in your diet-bread, rice, pasta and flours, unrefined as they are have more protein and fiber than the refined foods.
- Junk food. We must avoid all kinds of products rich in saturated fats or sugars, because they are the main cause of a sudden increase of glucose in the blood.
- Vegetables and protein. Veggies and protein in all your dishes based on carbohydrates, for example, serves the pasta with meat and vegetables, bread with cheese and tomato or cereals with fresh fruit and milk.