I have a good friend who is passionate about rice. What develops with all kinds of ingredients, always choosing those that are in season, because he argues that the qualities of these are very superior to those of products that travel great distances to go from one end of the world to the other. In our article; “The health benefits of fruits & Vegetables“, you can expand your information on this topic.
The first time I spoke of rice with eggplants, I mentioned that I looked like a combination a both poor, which would undoubtedly lead to a dish a bit tasteless. Ignorant of me!! Encouraged Me to play it, suggesting that cook the eggplant to the plate so that its flavor was more concentrated.
Less bad that you did, because the resulting dish turned out to be delicious, the mixture of the rice with the creaminess and rich flavor of the eggplant is perfect. In addition, it is a preparation free of animal fat and full of energy. Since I discovered this recipe, at home we produce almost every month. Very happy to see the little ones enjoy a dish as healthy, asking them to fill out the dinner plate for the second time.
As in any other recipe, the choice of ingredients is key. I suggest that, if you can afford, and if you have the possibility to have access to organic products, do not hesitate to prepare this dish with them. Bear in mind that many of the products of intensive agriculture are full of pesticides of chemical synthesis. In the case of the aubergines that we need for this dish, it is also used the skin, which is the place where the largest concentration of these chemicals accumulate in vegetables and fruits, therefore, keep it very in mind when you go to make the purchase.
Happens to me a bit like my friend, I love the rice!!, and a good example of this are the numerous recipes that you can find on my page. It is difficult to say which of them I like more, perhaps, for his original presentation, I would highlight the recipe American Rice Cake. In terms of taste, you can that I left with the recipe of rice with chicken. But, without a doubt, from my childhood I have always been accompanied by the taste of the recipe with rice which I like more; the delicious and creamy rice pudding.
Now it is time to get on the site, so, get your apron preferred, prepare all the ingredients for anything we forget, and we go there!!!
Ingredients for 4 people:
- Onion – 1 unit
- Eggplant – 3 units
- Carrot – 2 units
- Cloves of garlic – 3 units
- Rice – 250 grams
- Fried tomato – 300 grams
- Salt – to taste
- Black pepper – to taste
- Vegetable broth – 1 litre
- Olive oil – 5 tablespoons
- Saffron – 0.1 grams
Preparation of the Recipe
- Let’s start this recipe by preparing the vegetables. Peel the onion and chop finely. Reserve.
- Peel the garlic cloves and put them in a mortar with a little salt. Crush up to make almost a puree. If you want, you can chop the garlic finely with a knife and leave out the mortar. Personally I like more such as are crushed in the mortar.
- Peel the carrot and cut into medium pieces. Reserve.
- Heat a little olive oil in a frying pan.
- Wash the aubergines and cut into slices approximately 1 centimeter thick. As we cut them we put them in the frying pan that we have in the fire, and the water above with a little more oil. We put also a little bit of salt on each slice. Cook a few minutes on both sides until the slices are tender and slightly golden brown. Cook by batches. Reserve.
- While we cook the slices of eggplant, put to heat a little oil in another pan. When you take temperature, we take the chopped onion, the crushed garlic cloves and the diced carrot. Cook, over medium heat, until onion and carrot are tender.
- Add to the pan a pinch of ground black pepper and tomato sauce. Mix and cook a couple of minutes.
- Then, toss in the rice and mix it. Add the slices of eggplant, the vegetable broth and the saffron. Mix well and cook over medium heat until the rice is cooked. It is convenient to try him to season a little more if necessary, though, as we put salt in each batch of eggplant, and the hour of crushing the garlic, it may not be necessary to add more.
- Once the rice is cooked, remove, let stand for a few minutes and serve hot.
Important tips to keep in mind
You can prepare this recipe with any type of rice, the only thing that you must take into account is the amount of broth you will need, and the cooking time, depending on the variety used. In the case of brown rice, you’ll need to add more broth than it says in the recipe, and the cooking time will be increased.
If you can’t find saffron, you can substitute a little paprika or turmeric, the result will not be the same as the aroma and taste that conveys the saffron to the dishes is unique, but also get dishes very tasty.